EICMA 2018: V for VTWIN

Remember, remember the 7th of November.


Voilà! In View, a humble Vaudevillian Veteran cast Vicariously as both Victim and Villain by the Vicissitudes of Fate.
This Visage, no mere Veneer of Vanity, is a Vestige of the Vox populi, now Vacant, Vanished.
However, this Valourous Visitation of a bygone Vexation stands Vivified and has Vowed to Vanquish these Venal and Virulent Vermin Vanguarding Vice and Vouchsafing the Violently Vicious and Voracious Violation of Velocity!
The only Verdict is Vengeance; a Vendetta held as a Votive, not in Vain, for the Value and Veracity of such shall one day Vindicate the Vigilant and the Virtuous.
Verily, this Vichyssoise of Verbiage Veers most Verbose, so let me simply add that it's my Very good honor to meet you, I'm a VTWIN and you may call me Vincent, or simply V.


I was born a long time ago... I'm black, I was proudly born in the United Kingdom and for years I was the icon of speed, before the advent of the modernity Age. My Name is Vincent Rapide, and it could not be otherwise.
The beating of butterfly's wings, that become a storm, that unleash hurricane on your right hand. Deep inside your soul.

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici.
Maybe I did not conquer the Universe, but when I was young I broke some speed records.
Do you know Bonneville?
Well, Fellas.
I did it.
My claim, was my aim: to be the fastest bike you could buy.


The World's fastest standard Motorcycle!


Your Choice for the Post War Era!
This is a fact. Not a slogan.


Comfortable, but not so affordable.
My pursuit was speed.
But time's changed. The modern times. Right. And only a few of you still remember what I did.
I was born as single, and growth till Twin.
Like a Comet I shined on the most important track of the whole world.
A pleasure for me.

I will be your mentor in this strange motorist trip.
And you Editor, shut up. This is my time.
And you Fellas take a look now at the girls, because after these two, I want your attention!


This trip, this Eicma 2018 if it was a movie, it could be V for V-Twin.
Why Have I to say so?
There are not so many V-Twins in. Not so many news about.
Mv Agusta with its Serie Oro Brutale and Ducati with its V4R steal the spotlight.




Or not...
I saw a lot of trendy bikes there. A lot of "State of Art Bikes". Sporty bikes, Extreme bikes. Useless Bikes, and something that tries to look like, with weird results.

And after so many different engines schemes, mono, bi, three, four cylinders. And after precise thoughts and discussions, with two Masters, Livio first and Giovanni after, I have concluded that bicylinders, especially V-Twins like me, may be flawed, but for sure they are the closest engines that resemble the squaring of the circle.
I will not steal your time with the usual catchphrases about the pros and cons of my configuration, like this singsong: " A V-Twin that with its pulse talk with you. And together we can discuss the matter.
So let's talk about what there's inside.

In a world splitted in two sides, the first dominated by pure power, where the silence was ripped by loud roarings pipes in the new Superbikes replica statement, and the second one intimidated by the Eco fears and worries, for the modern riders it's very hard to understand where to stand.

I got no answer about this question, I'm a Twin.


And our class is truly headed for extinction: the SBK Desmo V-Twin offered its last show 27th October 2018 at Losail circuit and in 2019 we will assist at revolution! No more V2 but only the new V4 in SBK. After 67 years Ducati will participate with a different engine scheme.




And you are in the midst of massive change.

The possibilities are countless: single, three and four cylinders are now at their peak. These three configurations are now at the base of MotoGP Show.
And what about us!? What about the Twins?
Where are they now?
They are in our memories. They lied in the crown of victory, were reflected in medals, and shone in the cups.
But, for me, like me, they are simply the best expression of pleasure riding.
Also in small size!

And you will see right now the best representative of this category.
From EICMA 2018, simply the best V-Twins you will be seeing for a while.


They will not impress your attention with soprano songs, they'll not bring you over the 10000rpm. Cause they do their best, as a modern Caruso, at middle rpm, like a mechanical Tenor.


Do you like my lines? My design? My shapes?


Do you like the classic style of British Bikes?
Yes, those bikes that for years ruled the most important racing competitions!
Ok, stay with me and I'll bring you back in that crazy period.
With two real Icon of two wheels.
At the left corner of the ring, Ladies and Fellas, the Brough Superior Pendine


A magic V-Twin able to grant amazing performance! With a steam style, it will catch your attention at first sight!

At the right corner the opponent: Royal Enfield KX Concept!
From 1937 with love, Darjeeling tea, and a pinch of the USA in the blood!
The concept it's shaped around the first KX 1140. The first V-Twin all made in India, almost completely..

And it's also cheaper than the Brough!

From the UK, though the ocean, to arrive in the Land of Freedom!

Close your eyes. Take your time to remember the 2017 Indian concept. Well, after only one year it's real. The FTR 1200 S, from the United States of America, has upended all of the theories about the possibility to see this bike produced for real. Hailed louder from thousand fans, it was born originally as a concept to celebrate the AMA victories against its historic rival: Harley Davidson XG 750R.
The new FTR 1200 in street legal specs did not disappoint the expectations.....


The Indian remind me the first Hypermotard concept seen always in Milan, at 2005 Eicma. Rude to ride, but with tons of personality.
And this proudly American Bike got also beastly torque! Like a rocket inside: 115NM at 5900RPM! A tires slayer!
Flat track oriented? I think that this bike will give its best on the streets!

Did I say HYM? Sure?! Good because I met also my Bolognese friend! All renewed, new DP accessorizes! And the usual 90° Desmo V-Twin, here in the Desmoquattro liquid cooled spec!

Ducati Hypermotard 950
We are oft to blame in this. It is too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar over the devil himself.
It's true. The modern Ducati seems to have lost its rawness, its typical handmade style, like a die-hard bike.
Fake! Don't be deceived. They are now kindly and friendly, at the beginning. But after two or three corners you will fly like a MIG 28.


New Ducati course smooths the edge to bring confidence to all riders.
With the usual Italian style!

If we talk about Hypermotard and the maxi motard class, it's impossible to not talk about the Noale counterpart!
The Aprilia Dorsoduro 900! And now both got almost the same cc!


90° V-twin also for the Dorsoduro, but with less Hp than the Bolognese.

If the V-Twin solution, it's still a great solution for everyday riding. And not so many years ago, also for the racing use, try to imagine what could do today a V-Twin Two-Stroke?!
Yes, you heard that right!
A modern two-stroke ready to be homologated!
A featherweight fighter ready to hit you with a sucker punch that you don't see coming!


A young but skilled pro team based in Maranello after years of developments and study arrived almost at the perfection with their VINS DUECINQUANTA
Two models: The homologated bike to use also on streets, and the extreme Competizione: a racing bike with a power-weight ratio close to 1:1!


Faster, lighter and louder!

I could talk to you, now, about the new V85 MotoGuzzi.
But I won't.
Because you could find so many test and info about a category that I don't like so much: the crossover, or whatever...
But staying in Mandello del Lario, and building an imaginary bridge till Parma, I will introduce you the V7III Endurance.


A project born from the eclectic mind of two brothers that spent all their life in Motorsport: from the exotic MGS01 till their new project GC Kit Varano.
But now with Moto Guzzi and FIM decided to raise the bar: setting up an Endurance championship with the V7III prepared ad hoc!

Well, Fellas, this is only a selection made on my personal taste, de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Soon will arrive something more. From Eicma, and from the Editor' mind.
But now, remember Fellas: dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right. Dark times lighten up by green Energy..
At Eicma this year there was also many many E-Bikes and Electric Motorbikes. A lot of people that put the finger on combustion engines. Scream and despair when you try to argue in defense of.



I don't know if Electric could be an answer or the future.


But after all these years one thing I understood:
Artists use lies to tell the truth, while politicians use them to cover the truth up.

And now Editor go, and take back your desk..
See ya Fellas!


Post più popolari